[aur-general] Maintainer vs Contributor tag let's find a solution ; )

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 21:06:39 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:20:41PM +1930, Angel Velásquez wrote:
> Hi, this thread were discussed in the history, so I think is time to
> clarify and put the correct information to the wiki. (Actually on the
> recent TU application and sunjdk package).
>
> IIRC:
>
> a) Maintainer tag in PKGBUILD is just use for people who maintain the
> binary package generated by this PKGBUILD on official repositories
> (core, extra, community*), and the people with abilities to do this
> are TU and Devs.
>
> b) Contributor tag is for people who upload the PKGBUILD for first
> time or is maintaining it at this time.
>
> But sometimes this is hard to apply, for example I adopted an orphan
> PKGBUILD on AUR and I decided to update it and maintain it, what I
> should have to do:
>
> 1.- Should I remove the past contributor and add myself as a Contributor?
> 2.- Should I keep all the contributor list even if they are more than
> 4 different people (4 lines more to the PKGBUILD)
> 3.- Add myself to the maintainer tag?

The accepted practice is to keep a contributor comment for all
significant contributors of a PKGBUILD.

I don't think it really matters if there's a maintainer comment or not.
Maintainers for all packages are tracked by other means. That
comment doesn't carry much weight. There's really no reason why
maintainers of unsupported packages couldn't use it if they really
wanted to.