[aur-general] legal question

Daenyth Blank daenyth+arch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 07:50:39 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 07:39, Firmicus <Firmicus at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I just noticed that two packages in AUR appear to install fonts whose
> use is illegal.

> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16470 (here the fonts
> themselves are pirated)
>
> Both packages have many votes. Even though it might not be an
> infringement from our part to offer the PKGBUILDs, it still does not
> look very good for Arch Linux to be encouraging the use of illegal
> software (note that font is also software).
>
> Unless someone provides me with good arguments against it, I will delete
> the above two packages during the next few days.
>
> Best,

It's the choice of the user whether they want to install the package
and violate the license. It's been help up all over that sites that
host user-uploaded content aren't responsible for the legality of the
content uploaded, so long as they comply with any DMCA takedown
requests. I'd wait for one of those before deleting any of these.