[aur-general] How to handle interchangeable dependencies?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Mon Apr 6 17:39:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 05:16:53 +0800
Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> To my knowledge, this is a namcap limitation (I've never used yaourt
> before). As to why I've never filed a bug - I don't think it's that
> much of a big issue. namcap is a complementary packaging tool; it
> isn't fool-proof. It's supposed to be a secondary aid - the first is
> your judgement from careful practice.
>
> Fixing the "+" problem in AUR won't be of much help IMHO (but I
> recall it was in the TODO list). Such a package can come with "p"
> instead, and when/if it gets to a supported repository there'd be
> nothing to complain about.

namcap, AUR and yaourt have that limitation, I filed feature requests
for all three as well as a bugreport for the + issue in yaourt.

I agree that namcap is just a tool but quite an important one, it's
_the_ dependency checking tool for arch, even if it doesn't work for
everything. It should handle these not too common cases that it can
handle correctly, or rather expose the same behaviour as pacman.

Yes, you still need to get the package to compile first and test the
functionality, but I couldn't package effectively without it.