[aur-general] namcap tag: hicolor-icon-cache-not-updated

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Apr 10 15:10:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 20:24 +0530, Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> According to
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome_package_guidelines#GTK_Icon_cache
>
> packages which install icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor should depend on
> hicolor-icon-theme and invoke gtk-update-icon-cache.
>
> I've made a namcap module [1] which checks for the existence of the
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor directory and then sees if gtk-update-icon-cache
> is called in the install file and if hicolor-icon-theme is in the depends array.
> Otherwise it is reported as an error.
>
> http://github.com/abhidg/namcap/blob/d0f27f98d4e91b3fe37fc41395d0ba713f421013/Namcap/hicoloricons.py

Looks great, and really saves me doing some work (or bugs sneaking in
new versions of packages).

This dependency check on hicolor-icon-theme, does it traverse down the
dependency tree, or does it only look at what is in depends=()?

As for the gtk-update-icon-cache check: there's an alternative provided
by xdg-utils. An example can be found in openjdk6 and cups. This method
uses xdg-icon-resource.