[aur-general] Questions from a new TU

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Apr 12 17:23:07 EDT 2009

Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> The .PKGINFO file is created by makepkg and compressed inside the
> package.  When you upload a package to the server, this file is
> extracted and an entry is made for the pacman database using this
> information.  So any change that alters the .PKGINFO file or any
> installed files requires a new binary upload.  Have a look at a PKGINFO
> file and note there are very few things that you can change without
> uploading a new package.
>
> Allan

I know where the .PKGINFO is stored... I was just hoping that the
server would be "smart" enough to handle changes that don't  really
require a package rebuild, e.g. extract .PKGINFO, update it, re-insert
it. Uploading 600 MB * 2 in this case to change a package description
just seems silly.

Who's mostly in charge of handling such things? Maybe I can help out a
bit with some scripts or whatever (resumable uploads would also be
good, for instance).

Xyne