[aur-general] When does a package need -svn?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Fri Apr 24 03:00:09 EDT 2009

Hi there,

the developer of ardour changed the download page (1) in a way that
doesn't allow downloads without going through a dialogue where he asks
for donation. Donation is not mandatory but there's no direct link to
the source tarball available anymore. All ardour packages, including
the one I maintain (2), are broken since this change.

The in my opinion best way to overcome this issue is to determine the
svn revision of the release, check it out and build that instead.
Although it technically using svn it wouldn't follow a branch.
Would it ok to just leave the package name as is?

The other method I can think of that wouldn't need svn would be to
upload the tarball elsewhere, something I rather not do.

(1) http://www.ardour.org/download
(2) http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22752

Best regards,
Philipp