[aur-general] TU application: Laszlo Papp

Jaroslav Lichtblau tu at dragonlord.cz
Sun Aug 2 11:41:30 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 10:50:29PM +0200, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

<snip>
> I think it's normal in the descussion period, if something is not clear, we
> speak about
> it. Feel free to ask me, if you have got doubts.

Hi Laszlo,
I got a look into your packages, this is what came up:

PKGBUILD (coldfire)  W: Description should not contain the package name.
PKGBUILD (eclipse-android) E: Missing md5sums
PKGBUILD (huffman)   W: Description should not contain the package name.
PKGBUILD (koctave3)  W: Attempting to use specific sourceforge mirror, use downloads.sourceforge.net instead
PKGBUILD (lcdproc-g15) W: Variable license is not an array.
PKGBUILD (lcdproc-g15) W: Attempting to use specific sourceforge mirror, use downloads.sourceforge.net instead
PKGBUILD (lcdproc-g15) W: Missing Maintainer tag
PKGBUILD (libticonv2) W: Missing Maintainer tag
PKGBUILD (makedumpfile) E: File referenced in $startdir outside of $startdir/src or $startdir/pkg
PKGBUILD (picasm)    W: Description should not contain the package name.
PKGBUILD (pikdev)    W: Variable license is not an array.
PKGBUILD (upslug2)   W: Missing Maintainer tag
PKGBUILD (vim-lustyexplorer) W: Missing Maintainer tag
PKGBUILD (yapide)    W: Description should not contain the package name.

Mainly cosmetic errors. Maybe, as you took the work to add yourself as
a maintainer to some PKGBUILDs, why not to check the PKGBUILD as whole
and clean up all errors. Namcap is always usefull, as you recommend to
others on IRC/BBS.

While going through the list of your packages, I also looked on all
packages you submitted to AUR. What I find interesting is, that many
of them have actually a lot of votes gathered in the very short time
they are present in AUR. About the half of all your submitted packages has
more than 10 votes already - many of them are simple vim plugins. This
looks a bit strange to me.

<snip>

> I can't do it with 300 packages really, I discussed it. I've done the
> reassessment.
> Well I accept the opinion from Xyne, It's not a bad thing to contribute
> packages, even
> if the user will disown that, because somebody can continue to maintain it,
> and you
> can reach those now too from AUR.

Here I have to say, I also don't have a problem in contributing any
portion of packages, as long as they stay clean and build fine.

> > The task of a TU is especially maintaining and compiling packages in
> > the community binary repository and to do administrative and security
> > related stuff in the AUR like orphaning packages etc. A TU needs to be
> > able to write working and trustworthy PKGBUILDs, and a TU needs some
> > more than only basic scripting skills, because some applications need
> > PKGBUILDs which are not quite trivial, the people - every Arch Linux
> > user - rely on and trust the binary repositories in terms of security
> > and stability. I don't see this with Laszlo.
> >
> > Particularly see the symlink thing in his PKGBUILD for the library. If
> > he was a Gentoo user for more than a year - I was one for about 6 years
> > -, he should know, that a library doesn't have to be symlinked to keep
> > or get reverse dependencies compatible to updated libraries. See
> > revdep-rebuild, which every Gentoo user knows only too well. Symlinking
> > a library can only be a quick and dirty workaround locally on one PC
> > until the reverse depedency is rebuilt or fixed. If such a symlink is
> > needed by another package, than he should file a feature request to
> > upstream. So this shows me, that Laszlo doesn't have enough scripting
> > and packaging skills, at least not enough to be able to build and
> > maintain packages in a semi-official binary repository, which every
> > user trusts.
>

> You can ask Corrado/bardo in this matter, I've worked with him together on
> gcc-avr
> packages, and it wasn't quite trivial/simple to keep it in updated format.
> We worked
> on it more days.
> I adopted some unclean packages that lasted me so much hours to fix, because
> they
> weren't so trivial for me. E.g. packages with kde3/kde4/qt3/qt4
> compatibility problem,
> or cross-compiling packages with cross-toolchain.
> Yeah I've used revdep-rebuild while sleeping or working on other machine,
> because it
> was a long operation by me ;)
>

> > I also read his comment in the forums, which Xyne posted here.
> >
> > Well the "Welcome to the forum" can be seen friendly. But then he
> > writes "We must realize whether...", and just repeats, what Allan has
> > already written. For me it sounds as he feels like already being a
> > developer, or that he wants to presume to be one. I don't know Laszlo's
> > intention, and I can do him wrong, but somehow it looks like craving
> > for recognition, there are at least doubts.
> >
> > So I don't know, if I could trust him enough.

I have to say, I share few concerns which were brought earlier by Allan and
Loui. I find the recent huge increase of your activity a bit strange.
I have to say, I do admire the time you put into all parts of Arch
linux, but will need more time to be sure your intensions are really
honest.

> Okay, in this concrete example it wasn't sure for me he uses a good mirror,
> it could
> cause the issue too, that was my plus idea. I don't feel really that, I'm a
> developer.
> I don't like Role-playing game :)

That's a pity, they are the best :)

--
"How's he in the mysterious senses department?"
        -- Gaspode the wonder dog