[aur-general] TU application: Laszlo Papp

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:50:08 EDT 2009

Excerpts from Daenyth Blank's message of Sun Aug 02 17:55:27 -0400 2009:
> He's been quite annoying on IRC, nagging people
> both on there and over jabber. I don't think he's a good fit for the
> rest of the team.
>
> -1

I'm sorry to be late, I've just returned from vacation. I'd like to
share my experience with this individual. I can't speak for his
packaging or development skills which may indeed be up to scratch, but
in terms of personal correspondence, I'm not impressed.

A couple months ago, he mysteriously added me on google talk. I hadn't
spoken to him nor heard of him before. I asked him who he was and what
was going on. He told me he was busy at work and that he'd get back to
me later.

So I decided to give him a chance and the next day or the day after, I
tried again. After a couple days of trying, he finally told me that he's
an Arch Linux user and that he thinks I'm affiliated with TUs (he told
me that I applied for TU at one point, which was not true). I told him
that I have never applied for a TU position.

At this point, he tells me, "okay, remove me from your list if you think
so". We speak for a while longer, with me trying to figure out what
exactly he wants and who he is. I ask him for his name, which he does
not give me. Eventually, he just says, "i wouldn't like in touch
such a mentality person." I then ask what mentality, having no clue as
to what I've done to offend him. He just says "bye" and doesn't respond
again. "Garoth is such a mentality person" is still in the topic in a
Mercenaries Guild channel, so we're having a good laugh.

At this point, I tell him that I don't really like his attitude either
and remove him, never to hear from him again.

So clearly this is a greatly shortened summary of the events. What do I
gather from this? He wanted to know me because he thought I was knew
some TUs or was one. When he found out that I wasn't, he quickly lost
interest, apparently disliked my mentality (?), and started ignoring me.

Ironically enough, I've actually known Daenyth for quite a while.

As such, the above comment about him trying to social engineer his way
rings true with me. Whether or not this should affect his chances of
getting in, I don't know. I guess he said that he'll work on his
communication skills. I'm currently not overly convinced in a
forthcoming improvement in personalty though.
--
Andrei Thorp, Developer: Xandros Corp. (http://www.xandros.com)