[aur-general] Incrementing pkgrel

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 04:41:13 EDT 2009

2009/8/8 Smartboy <smartboyathome at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:51:29 -0700
>> schrieb Smartboy <smartboyathome at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > In order for it to be updated in AUR, you need to at least increment
>> > the PKGBUILD's pkgrel by one. Otherwise it won't update it.
>>
>> That's not true. AUR will also update packages without incrementing the
>> pkgrel. But the AUR scripts like yaourt and aurbuild won't
>> automatically install the updated packages if the pkgrel isn't
>> incremented.
>>
>> But I don't know the official policy for this.
>>
>> A few days ago I had to do small changes at a PKGBUILD. Because it
>> wasn't a real update and didn't affect already installed packages, I
>> didn't want to force the users to recompile the package. So I updated
>> the PKGBUILD without incrementing the pkgrel.
>>
>> Heiko
>>
> That is odd, when I try to upload a PKGBUILD without updating teh pkgrel,
> the PKGBUILD stays the same. Though, it could be me forgetting to clear the
> cache. :P

I've noticed that the PKGBUILD is same when you look at it using your
web browser, but it's caused only by caching. After reloading page you
will se the new one.

Anyway, I'm in favor of not changing pkgrel when the changes doesn't
affect the package itself (ie. changes to comments or whitespace
changes). If you change pkgrel everyone with yaourt or something like
that will recompile the package for nothing.