[aur-general] Source code for community packages.

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 01:44:58 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Eric Bélanger<snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Xyne<xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
>> A small public repo of compiled AUR packages reminded me of something.
>>
>> What's the official policy for providing source code for GPL'd binary
>> packages in [community]? I know there was a long discussion about this
>> with some phraknagging eventually leading to a source "repository" for
>> core and maybe extra. Although it would most likely never happen it is
>> possible for someone to show up after nearly 3 years and request a
>> previous package's source code.
>>
>> I suppose that previously the devs could argue that [community] was "not
>> official" and relegate all obligations to the packagers (although only
>> tentatively). Now that [community] is integrated more tightly with
>> [core] and [extra] it seems that this is something at least worth a
>> discussion.
>
> We will definitely create sourceballs for (L)GPL2 community packages.
> We were waiting for the svn switch for the community repo because the
> sourceball script is using svn to get package information.  The
> community repo support was added in the dbscripts git. We just need to
> update the dbscripts on the server. Meanwhile, TU should check that
> their package have the license specified.

I forgot some useful links.

Current community packages with missing licenses :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Snowman/License_Rebuild_TODO

As some of this stuff haven't been rebuilt in a while, other things
that might need to be fixed:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Snowman/License_Rebuild_Checklist