[aur-general] Chromium builds and runs on Pentium-m, but not on Desktop (Athlon 2800+)

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 08:33:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Jan de Groot<jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 13:02 +0200, solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
>> > I have successfully compiled/installed and run [...]
>> you have packaged chromium but not compiled it as the PKGBUILD
>> downloaded an already compiled binary version of chrome.
>>
>> you could try with a clean config dir. backup and remove
>> ~/.config/chromium. and try again.
>>
>> may be you're missing a dependance not written in the PKGBUILD ?
>> or may be that binary chrome is not compatible with athlon ?
>>
>> that's all i can think of...
>
> SIGILL is an illegal instruction, which means the CPU can't execute the
> instruction. My guess is that Chromium uses SSE2 instructions, which are
> present on the Pentium M, but not the Athlon XP.

that's indeed the case.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxPackaging
"SSE flags
For silly reasons our default build depends on SSE, but we don't
actually need. Search base/common.gypi and patch out the -msse2 bits
before building your package. "

"Result: layout tests require SSE2, normal builds probably shouldn't
and Google Chrome
packages don't. We don't control other packages."

Don't waste your time reading all the comments on that issue like I
just did. There are hundred of stupid users who posted their cpuinfo
(compare that to this thread where the issue was found after two posts
without much info), and some others trolling.

Just build chromium yourself without sse2, or try to find a binary
which was compiled without it.
If I understood correctly, the .deb packages built there should now be
without sse2 :
http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/c/chromium-browser