[aur-general] AUR package updating enhancements

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:45:56 EDT 2009

2009/8/26 Nélson «VuDu» Cunha <vudu.curse at gmail.com>:
> I agree that simple updates to PKGBUILDs should be easier.
> I've seen many packages with typos in PKGBUILDs, showing that the
> extra workload of having to archive the files and upload them doesn't
> necessary make users test things before uploading. That's all up to
> the maintainer's will to do things right.
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a poor argumentation.
"some maintainers are already screwing things up, so there is no
problem with encouraging them / making all this easier for them"
The fact is, maintainers should always test their changes, even the
most trivial ones.

Besides, with the existing AUR helpers
[http://www.archlinux.it/wiki/index.php?title=AUR_Helpers] , it should
make all this very easy :
- download / extract current package
- edit pkgbuild
- run makepkg and namcap
- makepkg --source and upload

you could even automate all these steps easily I think.