[aur-general] Split package pkgrel/arch issue

Daenyth Blank daenyth+arch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 17:01:50 EST 2009

I'm maintaining tremulous in community, and I'd like to split it into
tremulous and tremulous-data, to save space and bandwidth for both
mirrors and users, as well as making it a lot easier to package
alternate clients. The problem I'm running into right now is that
dbscripts can't handle packages with different pkgrel/arch lines in a
split package.[1] The arch issue isn't pressing, since I could just
silently update -data later (replace the i686 and x86_64 packages with
one -any package without updating pkgrel). This should be seamless for
users, and there's no reason to bump pkgrel because the change has no
effect for users who have -data already installed.

The other issue though, is that I'd like to set tremulous (the client
package) to -6 (it's at -5), while keeping -data and pkgrel 1. I tried
to commit this, but the dbscripts errored out saying it couldn't find
data 1.1.0-6. What's my best course of action here? I see them as
1) Wait for dbscripts support. I don't want to do this because the 1.2
beta was recently released, and it would depend on -data. I'd rather
not keep users waiting
2) Put out -data with pkgrel=6, then once dbscripts support is added, either
  a) Reset pkgrel to 1 with "force", or
  b) Continue from -6 going up to -7, etc. This feels ugly to me.

[1]: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17390