[aur-general] promoting packages that may benefit official repos

Ionut Biru biru.ionut at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 10:35:42 EST 2009

On 12/21/2009 04:57 PM, Ray Rashif wrote:
> Hello TUs
>
> I would like to bring slv2 [1] and google-gadgets [2] to [community] but as
> it is now, the latter can be used by extra/kde and the former (which also
> would bring in lv2 as a dep) by extra/ardour. Either (A) a core packager
> adopts them (along with deps) or (B) I go ahead and maintain them in
> [community].
>
> [1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14545
> [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17378
>
> * slv2 is a library for host apps to make use of the lv2 plug-in standard
> and specs - http://drobilla.net/software/slv2/
> * lv2 is a successor to ladspa and is considered pretty stable as of today
> - http://lv2plug.in/
> * google-gadgets is a standalone widget host from Google -
> http://code.google.com/p/google-gadgets-for-linux/
> * google-gadgets can also integrate into Plasma -
> http://maketecheasier.com/integrate-google-gadgets-with-plasma-in-kubuntu/2009/05/18

i say to go ahead and maintain them in community.

google-gadgets are you gonna split it in -gtk or -qt? choosing the
package that you have in aur will make users to complain about, that he
doesn't want qt to be pulled or gtk2 for kde users. what about
networkmanager, can't be just a makedepends and users that have
networkmanager will use certain widget?

--
Ionut