[aur-general] Package voting alternatives

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 23:00:39 EST 2009

Hi,

I believe this was discussed on aur-dev some years ago, but it seems
that discussion was lost (no longer in archives). I'd like to bring up
the subject again. What do you think the best way to indicate package
popularity is? The two main ideas were votes (the current
implementation) and a download counter. I can't really recall which
one was preferred.

The issue has been raised because we're deciding which to use in
"AUR2", as a patch has been submitted to implement votes.

I'd like to know if voting works, how effective it is, and how much
significance it has on a TU's decision to put a package into
community. Basically whether it's "broken" and needs to be "fixed" or
if it's fine the way it is.

P.S. I didn't send this to aur-dev as it doesn't really concern the
developers. It's an end-user feature, and mostly a feature for TUs, so
I posted here.