[aur-general] metadata file/database of AUR?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Dec 31 13:52:57 EST 2009

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:46:34 -0500
Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:22, Sebastian Nowicki <sebnow at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It would make more sense to expand upon the RPC and use a client
> > which caches. Initially any queries might be slower, but the second
> > time they would be just as fast, without the overhead of
> > downloading _all_ packages..
> >

> +1

wtf was i thinking

20k packages, say 100 bytes each -> 2GB of metadata

caching would be a much better idea indeed!
and initial queries wouldn't be noticeably slower. writing a few
hundred bytes to a filesystem is nothing compared to doing http
requests.
i guess most is said now, we should just get in touch with the guys who
develop our favorite aur frontends.

/me off to celebrate 2k10

Dieter