[aur-general] Java SDK/Runtime dependencies

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Thu Feb 5 05:57:34 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

Rorschach has asked me to bring the discussion at

to this mailing list.

Please help us find a consensus.

My answer to his last question is:

---
Let them install openjdk6 to provide the j2sdk dependency.

It's not the Arch philosophy to cut on freedom of choice.

By forcing a user to use either a free or proprietary alternative
of a PROVIDES we ignore the purpose of this clause (i.e.
providing freedom of choice).
---

Moreover I don't really see what's controversial here.

I'm a free software supporter myself, but I don't like
forcing people to use it.

provides=j2sdk is the way that will hurt no party.

  Thanks,

    Leslie

--
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer