[aur-general] Java SDK/Runtime dependencies

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:18:33 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Rorschach <r0rschach at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Is the provides field really doing what you think? Than I didn't understood it right. Could please someone bring some light to this?
>
> In general I think that Sun's Java should be kicked out as dependencie in every package where openjdk6 works fine because I think the main goal should be that we use a free java version and not a proprietary one.
>
> This topic is also missing in the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java_Package_Guidelines.

Description provides array from the info page:

    provides (array)
           An array of "virtual provisions" that this package provides. This
           allows a package to provide dependencies other than its own package
           name. For example, the dcron package can provide cron, which allows
           packages to depend on cron rather than dcron OR fcron. Versioned
           provisions are also possible, in the name=version format. For
           example, dcron can provide cron=2.0 to satisfy the cron>=2.0
           dependency of other packages. Provisions involving the > and <
           operators are invalid as only specifc versions of a package may be
           provided.

As both openjdk6 and sun jdk provide the same development functions,
they are interchangeble. Letting your package depend on java-runtime
the user can either choose to use the openjdk one or the sun one.

That is what you want right?

Ronald