[aur-general] Proposal: package's votes

Kennedy Skelton kiirani at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 02:24:08 EST 2009

2009/1/4 Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis at gmail.com>:
> Vitaliy Berdinskikh wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I propose to make package's votes equal zero after update. All users vote
>> when they update package. Maintainer has true statistic about package usage.
>>
>> Whan do you think about?
>
> I don't believe that this is a good idea. People's votes go towards a
> package and not a specific version of it. I highly doubt that anyone (myself
> included) would bother to vote after each package upgrade.

For statistical purposes, would it not make sense to have the system
record when a vote was submitted and package version information at
the time, but still display a full vote count? That way consideration
could still be made based on a general vote count, but a clearly
visible lack of votes in the last year or two could be used to
ascertain whether it is still considered as useful, as perhaps the
lack of new votes means another package has replaced and surpassed its
functionality.