[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 7 07:10:26 EST 2009

Loui Chang wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:18:08AM +0100, Xavier wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the TUs don't really have control over Arch Linux defaults.
>>>
>>> I think the idea behind community is that it's a bit of a testing
>>> grounds for future official packagers. So quality and usefulness
>>> of the repo is important but not as important as core or extra.
>>>
>>> Community is the bridge between unsupported and extra.
>>> I believe that correlation should remain pretty explicit as it is now.
>>> If community is brought on as another official repo, then the
>>> distinction between extra and community is eliminated.
>>> Why not just add those packages to extra then?
>>>

>> The distinction is exactly the same as now. community repo is managed
>> by a community of Trusted User, while extra is managed by arch
>> developers.
>> It is still a bridge between unsupported and extra. The only
>> difference is that on the implementation level, it would be closer to
>> extra, while now it is closer to unsupported. But on the usage level,
>> it is always in the middle.
>> And community can always be a testing ground for future official
>> packagers : as eliott said, it is even easier to switch from a
>> technical point of view if community is managed just like core/extra.
>>

> Well with that, I was answering the desires of some people to have
> community thrown in the same lot with core and extra. Like having
> packages listed from the main website rather than aur.archlinux.org
> for example.

I would like to hear Aaron's opinion on whether [community] packages
should appear on the main web page rather than the AUR if/when we go for
the single repo-tools route.

The advantage of having the [community] packages shown on the main page
is less maintenance.  It also separates the AUR from any repo (which I
personally think is a good thing...)

The disadvantage, is [community] becomes "overly official".

Allan