[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 08:08:13 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:35:49PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>  Sure.  But if according to the overlord this is never going to happen, then
>  there is not much point discussing this further.

True.

> > Unless votes are implemented in archweb I think we should keep the AUR
> > interface for votes/search at least. The backend can still change.

Another issue is importing votes from community to unsupported and
vice-versa.

>  Given you are one of the main AUR contributors, can you give us an idea of
>  how long it would realistically take to change the AUR to use the SVN style
>  backend used by the main repos?

It'd require:
1. the ability to checkout all PKGBUILDs that are in community
2. a community upload script for devtools (like communitypkg)
3. possibly some minor patching of tupkgupdate.

Another issue is that adding another 1800 packages to the SVN will make
checkouts that much slower since there's no way to know what's any
particular repo from the top level. You would have to scan every package
directory. I'm not convinced in the merits of moving to that kind of repo
layout. If community is moved to SVN I think I'd prefer if it had its own
repo separate from core and extra.

That way neither community or official will be at a performance
detriment, but migrating packages won't be as easy. Eh, there's always
a tradeoff.