[aur-general] Discussion period - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 9 12:33:38 EST 2009

Hi all,

To get this moving along, I would like to start the official discussion
period.  Standard rules, 5 days discussion, 7 days voting, 75% quorum.
If discussion raises some points which really need to be addressed
before a vote then it can be delayed.

Abhishek has mad a good summary with some additions by Loui at
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Community_move_to_devtools .

I am very much in favour of this move as it will allow use to use
[testing] for community packages, which remove the current problems we
have during big rebuilds.  It also means that any other changes made to
the repos (e.g. arch=any packages, delta support to name my favourites)
only needs to be made in one place.  I also like the idea of the AUR
being just unsupported packages and (despite not actually contributing
code to the AUR) I have the feeling that this separation would make AUR
development cleaner.

Loosing the ability for users to leave comments about a package on the
AUR is not a big deal for me as I think most of these should probably go
to the bug tracker where they will not get lost.  The concern about
autonomy of the TUs is difficult for me to judge being a dev too, but
given ~1/3 TUs are devs...

Allan