[aur-general] Discussion period - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 15:35:11 EST 2009

> >*You'd lose votes for community packages.
> >* You'd lose package comments and notifications.

Ok, those may not be completely true. My fault. I'll edit the wiki.
We we can still keep community packages in the AUR interface, but I was
assuming that the proposal was to ditch them. It will just take a bit of
patching to keep them.

> This is also important to me. It is much easier to write a comment than
> to use a bugtracker for users.
>
> >* Combining community packages with official packages will contribute a
> performance hit for all repos when dealing with >build files.
>
> Cannot comment because i do not get the point.

Well, the way the arch SVN repo for build files is organised is by
packages, not by repos. That means all community packages will be thrown
in together with core, extra, and testing packages.

To get a checkout of community you would have to scan every
package directory to see if it's actually in community.
I'm not sure if it's possible via standard subversion tools either.

Have a browse through http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/ to get a
better idea.

I'm not totally sure what I think of the proposal, because it isn't
really detailed enough. Depending on the implementation I may be for it
or against it.