[aur-general] Discussion period - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos

Nezmer nezmer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 18:37:21 EST 2009

Caution : If users are not supposed to get involved in this discussion , please stop reading and move on .

I would like to share my opinion from a user prospective .

* The proposal is nothing but great for users If the potential benefits actually get implemented (e.g [community-testing] and on the long run using deltas) .

* The comment system in the AUR provides a great source of information . If It's up to me , I would enable comments for all packages including the [core] and [extra] packages but maybe in a separate page from the AUR . If I understand Loui Chang's comment correctly , that's actually doable .

Benefits of comments :
1) the maintainer can state the reason why he is not upgrading a package ( e.g "I will not upgrade libfoo due to major changes in the API that would break other packages" ) and he might get some useful feedback .
2) Users & maintainers can exchange useful information about modifying the PKGBUILD ( e.g enabling or disabling a specific compile-time feature) .
3) Discussing issues and problems that don't qualify as bugs and doesn't require a package rebuild ( e.g "the latest version of appfoo uses a new syntax in '~/.appfoorc' . If you're having issues , please remove the file" ) .
4) Central place for discussing the state of the package in general .

Nezmer <Nezmer at gmail.com>