[aur-general] The search engine needs improvements

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 16:55:39 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:38:22AM -0800, Olivier Duclos wrote:
>> So yesterday I was looking if someone had already made a pkgbuild for the rar archiver. I typed 'rar' in the search engine and got 1224 matches. Since rar wasn't at the top of the results, I thought it didn't exist and created it under the name 'rar-official'.
>>
>> And this morning, I receive a message telling me there is already a pkgbuild for rar. *Sigh* Now, I agree that I could have searched a little longer, but that doesn't change the fact that the search engine is too basic and should at least show the exact match in first position.
>
> That's not a bad suggestion.
>
> Just for future reference:
> If you look closer you'll notice that search results are arranged
> alphabetically by package name by default. You'd just need to
> navigate to the Rs and you should have found rar.

That is right, but you have to admit it is not so practical,
especially for that case of rar.
It would be much easier if there was a way to go directly on a given
page, like in bbs or in google for example.
Or even better, being able to go directly on any page, and also to see
the first and last package on that page, like in viewvc :
http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/

But then again, rar is probably a corner case. I have personally never
ran into that problem in all the searches I did on AUR so it is
probably not a big deal :)