[aur-general] Vote - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos

kludge drkludge at rat-patrol.org
Mon Jan 26 20:01:33 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:07 PM, kludge <drkludge at rat-patrol.org> wrote:
>> Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:

>>> One users answer:
>>>
>>> Maybe the same mechanism that would move packages out of extra to
>>> unsupported or community?
>>> Its called pkgstats. pacman -S pkgstats and then exec pkgstats as root
>>> IIRC.
>>>
>>> Greg
>> accepted.  for what it's worth, pkstats seems too "passive" an
>> interaction to me.  i feel more involved in any system when i can make
>> active decision about what goes where (even if it's just one voice in
>> the wilderness saying, "hey, wouldn't this be cool?!?").  hence why i
>> run arch.
>>
>> then again, i have no hands-on experience managing packages, so my
>> opinion is entirely from the user-side.  maybe it's just my humanities
>> degree showing :)
>
> Certainly an interesting distinction, but, at the same time we have
> many more people yelling that the voting sucks and is terrible and no
> one cares about it. I certainly side with you on this one, but if two
> or three people are using it, and hundreds not using it, it's wasted
> effort.

the hidden reason i asked is that i was working on something i was
thinking of calling "ballotbox:" a bash script/app that would (i think)
make voting more user-friendly.  i took a break on it when real-life
intervened, and then this proposal here put the whole point up in the air.

maybe i'll pick it back up and get it working for the aur, anyhow. just
don't expect it any time *too* soon ;)

-klduge