[aur-general] Vote - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 01:47:09 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Aaron Schaefer <aaron at elasticdog.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please please please for the sake of our sanity - just stop. . . . I
>> really don't like the "it's broken so don't change anything" attitude.
>> This is about packages and TUs. Not about votes - I have no idea why
>> we're talking about this.
>
> I'm trying to share my thoughts on the matter because I do think
> they're relevant, and I care about Arch's development...I'm not here
> to argue just for argument's sake. So if you want me to sit back and
> shut up, I will, but It seems like a lot of people have selective
> reading, and many conversations on the list are completely one-sided.
> I don't speak up often, but when I do it's usually my goal to provide
> a little balance where there is none. I have no secret agenda. If you
> think eliminating votes as a side effect of this transition, or
> performing a cleanup based on pkgstats prior to integrating the
> database has nothing to do with this process, then so be it...
>
> I agree that the "it's broken so don't change anything" attitude is
> not constructive (nor is that my attitude), but an attitude of "it's
> broken, so let's make changes just because it will be different" is no
> better if those changes aren't an improvement.

But it has already been stated that the AUR, for the time being, can
remain as is (Loui mentioned shutting off the update script). With
that known, nothing, from your point of view, is going to change at
all. That's my issue here - that it's totally unrelated. Let's bring
revisit the voting vs pkgstats vs uberstats vs supervotes vs something
else later. Let's do THIS change that is actually on topic here, and
THEN talk about voting.