[aur-general] Community and the AUR (Was: Vote - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:20:01 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:59:53AM -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:
>> +1 for disabling comments for repo packages.  Even with warnings, we
>> risk having users using the comments instead of the bug tracker to
>> report bugs. We already have users abusing the flag out-of-date
>> functionnality to report bugs.  If devs are very unlikely to read
>> those comments, why would we have them in the first place?  If users
>> want to discuss about a package among themselves, they already have
>> plenty of ways to do it: forums, ML, IRC.
>
> That doesn't stop users from reporting bugs on the forums, ML, IRC
> and expecting devs to read them. Having comments and discussion about
> a package alongside the package makes a lot more sense than having the
> discussion detached elsewhere.

Well saying "it's already kinda broken so lets break it some more"
isn't a good idea either. The rationale that "users are going to do it
anyway" doesn't make much sense.

As long as it's clear (and it can be) that for official packages, this
is not a "comment for the maintainer" but a place to "discuss about
the package" then we're not overlapping here. I'm trying to say - if
you want to keep comments, that's fine. Just please be completely sure
to point out that no dev is ever going to read it. Adding a link that
says "Report a bug for this package" is a small step that would have a
fairly large impact here.