[aur-general] TU Application

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri Jul 3 20:13:06 EDT 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:12:36 +0200
Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Andrei Thorp<garoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I might also suggest to Nathan that he try to improve his
> > grammar/spelling/capitalization/formatting. Doing these things properly
> > will get you further in open source software communities.
> >

> This has nothing to do with open source, but I completely agree.
> Besides when someone does not make any efforts writing, the reader has
> to do much more efforts parsing and understanding the message, and
> will very likely just skip/ignore it.
>
> An even better (sigh) example :
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/008887.html

That's actually a really bad (and rude) example. The author of that
message begins by stating that he is not a native speaker and
apologizes that his English language skills are not very good. This is
completely different from a native speaker who is just too lazy to
clean up his messages, which appears to be the case here. It's a matter
of making the effort, which a non-native speaker obviously has.

Getting back on topic, I agree with the previous replies that this
application is a bit premature and that it should be withdrawn for now.
I believe that the enthusiasm demonstrated by Nathan is promising but
the considerable number of posts asking for help with packages just
prior the application demonstrate that he is not quite ready to become
a TU. There's also the matter of a sponsor which is needed for an
official application.

Nathan, your efforts to contribute to Arch are very much appreciated
and I hope that you don't take this as any sort of rejection. The
replies so far all indicate that it's more a "not yet" than a "no".
Just give it some time and keep learning in the meanwhile. Try to keep
the language in mind too... not bothering to add punctuations etc is
like showing up at a party without a shower in old, worn-out
underwear... it implies that you just don't care.

Regards,
Xyne