[aur-general] Disowning monsoon, monotorrent and mono-nat

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Mon Jul 6 11:53:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:54 AM, bardo<ilbardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/6 Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve>:
>>> I'm not really sure where you're gathering your rules from.
>>> If excess traffic on the list does become a problem, we'll find ways to
>>> solve it.
>>
>> Common sense, just let everybody believe that they have to report
>> anything on this list (as the childres ask the teachers for permission
>> to go to the bathroom) and you will get a nice flood, "mathematics
>> never fails", but go ahead, do what you want, you will remember me,
>> when you will get pissed off about this :)
>
> Please guys, calm down. Let's sit down a minute and think about it.
> Tomás brought to our attention a problem that all of us have noticed:
> there's no mean, for willing contributors, to find out if a package
> has been orphaned. I think Angel is right with this ML not being the
> right place to signal orphan packages, since there's usually no
> discussion involved. On the other hand, I feel that he expressed his
> ideas in a bit too strong way.
>
> Anyway, back to the problem. I see two (non-mutually exclusive)
> possible solutions:
>  1. Add a notification e-mail for package orphaning. In fact,
> orphaning is a very important phase in the package life, and between
> package subscribers there will probably be at least one person who
> wants to step up and adopt it. I'm all for this one.
>  2. Add an "orphaning RSS feed". Many willing contributors are always
> looking for nice packages to maintain, and they have no way to find
> out if their favorite package has been orphaned. An RSS feed would
> allow contributors to quickly substitute former maintainers, thus
> allowing an overall better AUR quality.
>
> What do you think?

The first solution seems better to me (but both solutions can be
implemented), why the first solution is better to me?, Well in the
case when a guy with several packages decided to orphan all his
packages the users who have an rss client pointing to the "orphan rss"
will get flooded heh.. but it's the risk that they took in any case.

So +1 for the first solution

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net