[aur-general] Removing comments from AUR

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 04:44:00 EDT 2009

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 17:03, Grigorios Bouzakis<grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> May i suggest something slightly relevant, but probably very radical?
>> Disable comments on AUR completely.

I don't understand why this was even proposed. It seems rather obvious
to me that this is not a wise idea: how is a package maintainer to
know if someone opened a thread on his package on the bbs? Does every
maintainer get his own personal forum? Same goes for the ml: imagine
the whole AUR comments becoming e-mails... it would be chaotic to say
the least.

Forums and mailing lists are general-purpose instruments, and for this
very nature they can't be very structured. They are also open to
abuse. The AUR has a specialized function, and it does it well. Why
split it into two?

Keep the information where it belongs (on the package page) and keep a
clean structure (don't put everything in one place without easy ways
to filter). Where's the KISS philosophy?

This is a BIG -1 from me.

Corrado