[aur-general] Removing comments from AUR

Laurie Clark-Michalek bluepeppers at archlinux.us
Thu Jun 25 10:42:31 EDT 2009

2009/6/25  <hollunder at gmx.at>:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:50:34 +0800
> Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I don't really see a point in that much discussion.
> [community] will vanish from AUR anyway.
>
> 1) [unsupported] should keep the comments.
>
> 2) The maintainer of a package should be able to delete comments
> (cleanup possibility).
>
> 3) Notification should be enabled by default (or add a switch for the
> default behaviour).
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

I agree. Personally, I find filing a bug quite daunting (I know it
isn't but I do) and it is easier for me, as the bug reporter, to just
shove my problem in the box at the bottom. As the maintainer, as most
of the bugs I get reported are simple, and I think that's the case
with the vast majority of AUR packages, it is easier to just have a
simple interface little comment interface, instead of a massive, full
blown bug management system.

The maintainer of a package should be able to delete comments as this
would make some of the more popular packages' comments easier to clean
up. Instead of a trusted user needing to do this, the owner of the
package could be allowed to delete any comments older that a week.
That's a policy decision, but I hope we will have some way of deleting
comments that refer to bugs that have been fixed.

Notification should be enabled as default, as I find with some
packages people report them out of date if there is any kind of
problem with them. This leads to confusion, as to whether the package
is actual out of date, or if it is just a problem with the PKGBUILD.
Maybe a bug button for people writing comments would be useful, so the
comment could trigger an email alert, whereas a normal comment might
not. All of this, in my opinion would still be easier than a bug
tracker.

Thanks,

Laurie