[aur-general] Removing comments from AUR

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Thu Jun 25 21:13:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Grigorios Bouzakis<grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Gergely Imreh<imrehg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Since i started this, even by stupidly replying to another thread, i
>>> might as well answer
>>> to that.
>>> My suggestion is not having comments in the AUR at all, comments arent useful to
>>> the users. They are only useful to the maintainer.
>>
>> I would disagree... Sometimes it is good for maintaner-user feedback
>> as well. E.g. one of my packages takes a long time to compile. It's a
>> small package but one step looks as if it hung and stays there for
>> about 10-15mins on my computer. I had one of the users place a comment
>> that his compilation didn't work, it froze and he had to kill it after
>> about 5 minutes. Told him to wait a bit longer and it worked.
>> Sure it could be done in the BBS - but would be completely
>> inefficient. Not many users for most of the packages so not many
>> people know what's going on, and I'm not going to search through the
>> forums every day to see if someone wrote about them... Now: comment
>> placed, me notified, can act on it....
>>

> Scrap the bbs.
> If he mailed you, wouldnt you have bothered to reply his email?
> Or it needs to be done by a comment or not done at all?
> You wouldnt have added it to the package notes because it wouldnt interest the
> users? If you had, he wouldnt even have to email you.

Sometimes the maintainer in this case is a Dev or a TU, and eventually
they are full of work and they doesn't reply the emails or let the
packages out of date or with bugs (in the AUR history *this* fact is
happening), what should do the user in this case?:

1.- send an email to the ml? --> will be ignored by everypeople. (and
probably the maintainer, and plus force the user to subscribe to the
ml, maybe the user isn't a packager, just an user reporting anything
like "this package shouldn't depend on bla bla")
2.- "open a bug report", come on dude, not every people will register
to the bt to fill a bug report, maybe if one account will work for
everything, but this is not the case.
3.- Open a bbs thread (pfff hehee .. I just will laugh about it)
4.- IRC? (why if maintainer isn't active on that?)

And plus, sometimes Comments helps the maintainer of a package a LOT.

So, this discussion is irrelevant, please when you do an upgrade you
don't remove features at least these are unuseful, and reading this
thread, more people are agree to keep the comments.

Thanks

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net