[aur-general] automatic package creation from pypi

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Jun 27 16:40:04 EDT 2009

> Quite a while back, the idea of automatically creating PKGBUILDs from
> pypi came up:
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2008-August/002099.html
>
> It'd be really cool if we could get something similar to cabal2arch
> for PyPI. Checking the PyPiXmlRpc [1] page does not show any field
> for listing dependencies of the package though. Is there any way of
> getting the dependencies of a python module programmatically?
>
> [1]: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiXmlRpc?action=show&redirect=CheeseShopXmlRpc

I've never used PyPi before but I took a quick look at PyPiXmlRpc. The
"release_data" method returns a dictionary that included "provides" and
"requires" keys, although these do not appear to be correctly
populated. As an example, Chaco's "requires" field is empty but its egg
file contains "EGG-INFO/requires.txt" which lists several dependencies.

If someone knows whom to contact about getting this data into the
output, I'll send an email and see what happens. I'll also play around
a bit and see if I come up with an alternate way of getting the
dependencies.

Xyne