[aur-general] gnash removed from aur

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Mon Mar 16 11:47:48 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Paride Legovini
<legovini at spiro.fisica.unipd.it> wrote:
> I was willing to maintain a package in aur for Gnash, the GNU SWF
> player. I published it today, but it has been removed without any
> warning. Can I have en explanation for this?
>
> I know the same package is already in extra/, but it's orphan and
> outdated.
>
> p.

Hi, first of all, Thanks for contributing with the Arch Linux Project.

Technically is prohibited duplicate packages, *even if yours is
updated than one existent on repos*.. (I said technically because you
can add the -{svn,git,cvs,bzr,etc} version of that package and is not
a duplication at all).

Unfortunately, you should wait for a while until a Dev decides to
adopt and update it, I guess you can ask on this list if some dev can
drop this package from extra and move it to unsupported, then you will
be able to maintain it.. (but eventually this doesn't happen, being
frankly)

Aditionally you can add the PKGBUILD and maybe, some dev can update
the package and maybe he will use your PKGBUILD or part of them..

So, the TU or Dev who deleted your package should (just for being
nice) sent you an e-mail giving you details about why your your
package was removed.

Cheers!

--
Angel Velásquez