[aur-general] TU Application: Xyne

xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri Mar 20 08:04:51 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to apply to become a TU. Allan has agreed to be my sponsor.

My reasons for wanting to become a TU are the following:
I want to help out, improve Arch in general and give back to the distro (the typical clichéd response, but true nonetheless).
I intend to eventually maintain some of my own packages in the community repo (not only them though).
I hope to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes.
I want to participate in decisions that affect Arch.
Everyone keeps telling me to become a TU.
I heard TUs get free tacos.

As for packaging experience, I currently maintain 24 packages in the AUR (under the same name) and I host a public repo on my site (http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repositories). I've also played around with a few local repos (e.g. metapax pkgs, local AUR binary repos, customized ABS packages) and have written some tools that deal with pkg and repo creation and maintenance (makerepo, metapax, pacpan).

I'll admit that many of the PKGBUILDs for my own tools are trivial but some of the ones I maintain in the AUR aren't. I've also managed to work my way through the (g)vi(m) PKGBUILDs and scripts to get them to build with the latest patch level at the time :P . Overall, I still consider myself somewhat new to Linux and I haven't yet had to patch anything myself or deal with really complicated build errors, but I'm sure that I'll learn how to handle such issues as I'm learning the rest of it. I tend to know my own limits and generally don't dive into things that I can't handle, so you don't have to worry about me borking anything.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm quite active on the forum so you can probably get a general idea of who I am from my posts there.

Thanks for considering this application.

/Xyne