[aur-general] Huge packages in community

Smartboy smartboyathome at gmail.com
Sun May 3 15:43:06 EDT 2009

2009/5/3 Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve>:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
>> What defines "necessary" when dealing with community packages? I
>> thought core and extra were for "necessary" packages while community
>> was for packages that the community wanted. Where does necessity enter
>> into it? Community wasn't even enabled by default before and yet people
>> managed to run their systems. This seems to be the definition of another
>> word on which we disagree.
>>

> Common sens people, games are not necessary software, games are
> optional software, necessary software is that which means
> "productivity" or "required" (like drivers, etc).

I hope you don't mind if I chime in here, since I'm not a TU, but a
lot of software isn't necessary and are just optional software. For
example, are desktop environments like GNOME/KDE/XFCE necessary when
we have perfectly good window managers, panels, and other things which
do the same thing? What about OpenOffice/KOffice/GNOME Office/etc?
People don't need those, and (imo) learning LaTeX increases
productivity. It follows the same line of thought. While you don't
find the games necessary, other people do, as games can get rid of
stress after a hard day at work (for example).

Smartboy