[aur-general] changing the status of the maintainer field

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Thu May 21 06:25:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009 12:58:54 +0300
Alper KANAT <tunix at raptiye.org> wrote:

> Hey There,
>
> I've packaged 11 packages upto now and the reason why I don't choose
> to use the Maintainer tag but the Contributor tag is that AUR
> Packaging Standards says:
>
> When building packages for Arch Linux, you should adhere to the
> package guidelines below, especially if you would like to contribute
> your new package to Arch Linux.
>
> as the first sentence. The word "contribute" is in bold which always
> made me think that I'm not maintaining the package but I'm
> contributing the distro.
>
> Hope this helps to understand a user point of view.
>
> Cheers..
>

> Alper KANAT  <alperkanat at raptiye.org>

The terminology and use was discussed a couple of weeks ago and what
was agreed on is pretty much:

Use maintainer if you maintain a package (and when you're the initial
author of the PKGBUILD? at least that's how I do it)

Use contributor for former maintainers or to attribute help you
received.

Regards,
Philipp