[aur-general] Java Dependency and Cross-Compilation Questions

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 00:29:49 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Aaron Schaefer <aaron at elasticdog.com> wrote:
> So, my new machine is up and running (and I figured out my previous
> packaging issues!)...so I'm updating my jGnash package
> (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/jgnash/) to the
> latest release and there is also currently a bug report on the package
> (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16665). The bug report correctly
> states that jGnash will not run with openjdk6 (jre works just fine),
> so what is the current policy for handling that fact?
>
> I know that no other packages depend on jre directly, and the prefered
> method is now java-runtime, but doesn't that mean that openjdk6 users
> will just have this software silently fail?

In this case, make it depends on jre.  You could put a note in the
PKGBUILD to explain this dependency.  And, when either openjdk or
jgnash  release new versions, you could test to see if they work fine
together so you could switch back the depends to java-runtime.

Also, if you're building
> an i386 package on an x86_64 machine, is there an easy way to test the
> software to make sure that it's actually working on i386? Thanks in
> advance...

you could setup a i686 chroot on your x86_64 system.  I believe
there's info in the wiki.

Eric