[aur-general] Java Dependency and Cross-Compilation Questions

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Nov 6 01:21:05 EST 2009

Am Fri, 6 Nov 2009 00:29:49 -0500
schrieb Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com>:

> > I know that no other packages depend on jre directly, and the
> > prefered method is now java-runtime, but doesn't that mean that
> > openjdk6 users will just have this software silently fail?
>
> In this case, make it depends on jre.  You could put a note in the
> PKGBUILD to explain this dependency.  And, when either openjdk or
> jgnash  release new versions, you could test to see if they work fine
> together so you could switch back the depends to java-runtime.

It would be better to set the dependency to java-runtime instead of
jre so that openjdk6 users can install and test jgnash. If jgnash
really fails to run with openjdk6 - I hadn't had any problems with
openjdk6, yet - then a bug report should be filed to upstream of
openjdk6 and/or jgnash.

I don't think it's the matter of downstream to restrict the dependency
and to force the user using jre instead of openjdk6.

So, please, change the dependency to java-runtime.

Heiko