[aur-general] Application as a Trusted User

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sat Nov 21 13:27:40 EST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:13:17 +0100
Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, but I consider the use of fakeroot a good thing, it helps
> > to reveal errors while packaging/creating the PKGBUILD at least.
> > Don't know why it should be avoided.
> >

> Sorry, but you are wrong. Since when using fakeroot when not needed is
> a good thing ?
> How can it reveal errors ? Care to elaborate ? We are all very
> curious :)

You know about DESTDIR and all that? Some apps don't support it, some
semm to support it and don't really. In those cases you get notified,
can patch makefiles or work around it some other way. I had a number
of these cases in my 50+ PKGBUILDs.

Might be that building as user would reveal these as well, I'm not
sure. I'm not sure about all possible consequences and everything that
could go wrong, but I doubt that a small compile speed gain, according
to another mail, is worth it.