[aur-general] Application as a Trusted User

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Nov 21 19:34:03 EST 2009

Loui Chang wrote:
> On Sun 22 Nov 2009 07:34 +1100, Phillip Smith wrote:
>>>>

>>> Hello :)
>>>
>>> Using both build() and package() is not necessary condition for use only
>>> with splitted packages, its avoid to use the fakeroot on building
>>> process that is not needed in 99% of packages.
>> It's also good to be able to use the -R flag to makepkg which you
>> can't do without the separate functions :)
>
> Actually you can repackage without a package function.
> Whatever is contained in $pkgdir will be made into a package.

Yes, but it is rather crap...  without the package() function using -R
is only useful if you want to change a variable in the PKGBUILD
(pkgdesc, depends,...).  With a package() function, you can actually
change the contents of the package.

Splitting of the build and package steps is one of the most
under-appreciated features in the last pacman release.  It is really
good to see someone actually using it.  (I do not and I implemented it!)

Allan