[aur-general] How to include sources from sourceforge + creating links not provided by package

Ranguvar ranguvar at archlinux.us
Mon Nov 23 22:54:24 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know how to specify sources coming from sorceforge in
> PKGBUILD, and example could work just fine.
>
> Also I'd like to know how to create a link automatically once the
> package has been installed.  This implies removing it when removing
> the package.  If necessary, checking if the link exists when upgrading
>  the package (if the package gets removed before installing new
> version, that might be handled by the removing of the link when
> removing the package)...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Javier.

Hey Javier,

For SourceForge, you can use http://downloads.sourceforge.net/.

Go to the project, get to where it asks to download.  It will also offer a
direct link.
Copy that, and remove the ending bit about which mirror to use, and you have
the right URL.

For example, for Shareaza:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/shareaza/Shareaza/Shareaza%202.5.0.0/Shareaza_2.5.0.0_Win32.exe

Obviously, replace the version and such with "$pkgver", etc.
downloads.sourceforge.net hands you a close-by mirror.

On links, you can just ln -s.  For the first argument to ln, don't specify
$pkgdir.
This is correct for a PKGBUILD, for example:

ln -s /opt/foo/foobin "$pkgdir/usr/bin/foobin"

The link will be removed on uninstall.

Hope that helps,
-- Ranguvar