[aur-general] xorg packages

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 08:26:33 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Actually, I would not recommend using any of these packages because of
>> their poor quality :
>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=SpeedVin&SeB=m
>>

> I haven't really time to look at them. Are they just poor quality or do they
> possible cause system breakage ?
>
> btw, isn't that the guy who recently applied to become a TU?

Oh right, I didn't realize that. Actually I already complained :
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2009-September/006559.html
I didn't realize how correct my comment was !

About the other packages, I was not sure whether to mention them or
not. The easiest way would have been to stay silent. If I start giving
details, I should address them to the maintainer directly, in the AUR
comments. But explaining everything that is wrong (there are all
levels of problems : big ones, average, and minor details) will take
much more time.

My biggest complaint was on the xorg-server-git one :
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xorg-server-git/xorg-server-git/PKGBUILD
extra package :
http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/xorg-server/repos/extra-i686/PKGBUILD?revision=51034&view=markup

- it disables a lot of important features making it unusable (why
using xserver-git if you disable ipv6 dri dri2 xvfb composite)

- it replaces one change of xorg-server pkgbuild for integration with libgl :
  # Needed for non-mesa drivers, libgl will restore it
  mv "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so" \
     "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.xorg" || return 1
by a completely broken symlink :
  msg "Fixes for non-Mesa drivers..."
  ln -s "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so" \
     "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.xorg" || return 1

Not only doing this makes xorg-server-git fileconflicts with libgl. It
also creates a symlink which points to the $pkgdir where the package
was built...

- it disables libwfb.so without any explanation (the old extra
pkgbuild did that too, saying it libwfb was no longer needed. but last
pkgbuild doesnt do it anymore. ok that one is a bit confusing)

- it does not provide/conflict xorg-server

- it cleans the build dir at the end of build() so you cannot check /
re-use anything

- it defines unused variables (_gitver)

- instead of depending on -git packages, it would be better to depend
on a specific version, which a real git package could provide. then it
would also be possible to use a normal (non git) package if it is
recent enough

List goes on and on.

Comments about other packages :
- glib2-newest also seems to be a duplicate of extra
- grub2-git has the date reversed ?
- kernel26-bfs really had 300 releases ?
- dwm-git ? why ? the official dwm repo is just hg, and actually even
the use of dwm-hg is debatable (see archives of last month)
- several PKGBUILDs have more than one empty md5sums array, for
example this one has 3 :
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-mouse-git/xf86-input-mouse-git/PKGBUILD
- actually variables which are just empty array should not be declared at all
- all git packages do something funny :
  if [ -d $startdir/src/$_gitname ] ; then
  cd $_gitname
why not if [ -d $_gitname ] , like the prototype does ? much less confusing.
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=abs.git;a=blob;f=prototypes/PKGBUILD-git.proto;hb=HEAD

I am sure I would find much more to say by looking closer and going
more into smaller details.