[aur-general] xorg packages

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 05:51:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM, member SpeedVin <speedvin at archlinux.us> wrote:
> Ok thanks Xavier for testing.Now let's go!
> About dwm-git we can delate this package if not offical  repos are not
> allowed.

It's not that it is not allowed. It's about the added value. If it
provides exactly the same code as dwm-hg, just outdated, and from an
unofficial source, then WHY ?
Anyway hbekel posted a more detailed comment in AUR, so maybe just answer there.

> kernel26-bfs - About this 300 relase we have voting on kernel26-bfs page
> what to do to change one variable in PKGBUILD and aplly new patch and most
> votes was for bumping pkgrel ;)

I just read one comment on AUR :
"I want to put in a vote for using the pkgrel number to show package
changes. Either using the BFS version and/or an iterative count when
the PKGBUILD changes would be good with me. I don't check this page
often and tend to use yaourt to tell me about AUR package updates.
Because pkgrel isn't updated, this package always appears unchanged."

The right way is to use an interative count. Because you could do
important changes/fixes to the PKGBUILD for the same BFS version.

Now I see you are using the two numbers for pkgrel : 300.2 . So bfs
version + iterative count.
I have never seen a pkgrel used like this, but I don't know if there
is a guideline. And it seems like it should work.

> xorg-server-git - I disable many things to stripe things down if someone
> like to have more things he can enable it in PKGBUILD.

Then please document this ! At least put a big warning or note before
the configure line. Or even describe these changes in the pkgdesc.