[aur-general] Conventions on packages for cross-compiling

Vojtech Horky vojta.horky at seznam.cz
Tue Oct 13 07:38:14 EDT 2009

2009/10/13 Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
> Vojtech Horky wrote:

>>> Some time ago I asked the same question about my AVR toolchain, which
>>> is now in [community]. I think the original thread can be interesting
>>> to you:
>>>
>>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2008-January/thread.html#611

>>> As you see, I just stuck with the '-arch' postfix =)
>>>
>>> Corrado
>>>

>> Hi,
>> first of all - thanks everybody for the suggestions and the links.
>>
>> I read them through, (again and again) looked around how others do it
>> and finally decided to really write that wiki page as Loui proposed. I
>> put the guidelines proposal on
>>
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cross_Compiling_Tools_Package_Guidelines_Proposal
>> I and would be really glad if someone would find some time to read it
>> and express his opinion.
>
> I have been looking into cross-compilers a lot lately, and I think the best
> place to put _all_ their files is /usr/lib/cross-*-*-* and then symlink
> needed stuff or add wrapper scripts in /usr/bin/.  This is more FHS
> compliant than the /usr/i486-mingw32 that is used in mingw32 and /usr/avr in
> the avr one.
I agree that it is more FHS compliant but I would prefer to have files
directly (i.e. no symlinks) where they are supposed to be (e.g. put
executables into /usr/bin rather than symlinking them from
/usr/lib/cross*).
> Does your proposed build process lead to any "interesting"
> directories in /usr?
No. But sometimes a small hack is needed (e.g. the tooldir settings
for binutils). Possible conflicts are solved by adding architecture
prefix and duplicate files are not installed at all (e.g. man pages or
READMEs).
BTW, the MIPS cross-compilers
(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=cross-mips) now follow
the proposed guidelines from the wiki.

> I am currently rebuilding the mingw32 packages to check if I can get this
> working properly and will add comments to the wiki page in the coming days.
Thanks.

> Allan

- Vojta