[aur-general] Conventions on packages for cross-compiling

Vojtech Horky vojta.horky at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 14 16:48:28 EDT 2009

Hi,
2009/10/14 Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I have spent the last couple of days looking into what should be a
> reasonably general method for packaging cross compilers.  You can get my
> PKGBUILDs for a i686-pc-mingw32 cross-compiler from
> http://allanmcrae.com/packages/cross-i686-pc-mingw32.tar.gz . They can
> probably use more work, but the general idea is there.
They look great - I admit defeat :-) - putting files to
/usr/lib/cross-<arch>/ is cleaner than trying to put them to their
normal locations and dealing with possible conflicts. Moreover, it
does not break FHS.

> The basic principles I came up with are:
>
> 1) define these variables
> _target=i686-pc-mingw32
> _sysroot=/usr/lib/${_target}
> pkgname=cross-${_target}-<program>
>
> 2) build most stuff using:
> --prefix=${_sysroot} --sysroot=${_sysroot}
>
> 3) add symlinks for all ${_sysroot}/bin/${_target}-* to /usr/bin
Is there any special reason why not to use directly --bindir=/usr/bin?

> An amusing anecdote... the result from building "Hello World!" for Windows
> using this cross compiler resulted in binary which AntiVir said had a virus.
>  Strip that binary and all was OK!
>
> Allan

If there aren't any objections to this file placement, will you update
the wiki proposal or shall I do it?

- Vojta