[aur-general] Conventions on packages for cross-compiling

Vojtech Horky vojta.horky at seznam.cz
Thu Oct 15 15:04:19 EDT 2009

2009/10/15 Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
> Vojtech Horky wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> 2009/10/14 Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
>>

>>> 3) add symlinks for all ${_sysroot}/bin/${_target}-* to /usr/bin
>>>

>> Is there any special reason why not to use directly --bindir=/usr/bin?
>>

> Um... no reason....   just never thought of that.  I will adjust my packages
> today to give that a spin but I can not see any reason why that will not
> work.
>

>> If there aren't any objections to this file placement, will you update
>> the wiki proposal or shall I do it?
>>

> Either.  I can make a first pass if you would like.  Writing documentation
> is not my strong point :)
I rewrote it a bit to describe using the /usr/lib/cross-* directory.
Feel free to update it if something looks too confusing or wrong.
BTW, I am not very good at writing such things either :).

> Allan

And one more thing. It is just an idea: shall we create that
"out-of-path" thing that I wrote about at the end of the wiki?
[In brief: create symlinks with normal (i.e. without architecture
prefix) names to the executables and put them into directory outside
of path. If there are scripts using directly 'gcc', adding this
directory to $PATH would force their usage when cross-compiling.]
Any comments/thoughts on this?

- Vojta