[aur-general] Remove vimperator-git

Michael Witten mfwitten at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:24:42 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Chris Brannon <cmbrannon79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Witten wrote:
>> I guess my `replaces=(vimperator-git)' took care of it. :-)
>>
>> I was wondering whether that would happen; I guess I should have checked.
>
> No, I did.

Ah! :-)

That's more believable.

> You can't cause packages to be deleted automatically just by
> putting them in the "replaces" array.  Imagine how easy it would be to abuse
> a (mis)feature like that!

It depends on the rules that define who and when something can be deleted.

The current AUR policies are bizarre to me: The AUR is a sink for any
old package, and the only way to unclog it is to contact the town
plumber. Can't we give the village folk some tools to handle their own
minor maintenance issues? In this case, as the maintainer of both
packages (vimperator-{git,hg}), it wouldn't seem unreasonable to allow
me to replace one package with another.

In particular, why not at least allow a maintainer to deprecate a
package; anyone else can un-deprecate a package, and after a while
(say, a couple of months), if nobody has un-deprecated a deprecated
package, then that package should be deleted automatically---or at
least someone with the power to delete the package should be notified
to do so.

How about automatically marking a package as deprecated (as described
above) if the package files haven't been accessed in some interval of
time (say, a year).

Also, how about automatically removing the maintainer of a package if
that package has been marked out-of-date for some interval of time
(say, a couple of months).

Just some ideas (that probably aren't new).

Thanks,
mfwitten