[aur-general] what about R?

johnea me at johnea.net
Fri Sep 25 13:55:48 EDT 2009

Hello Fellow Arch Users,

Ya know, we don't always have control over what an upstream
project is called.

Take for example: The R Project for Statistical Computing

http://www.r-project.org/

As can be clearly seen, the project's name is R.

Yes, that is a CAPITAL R !

So I've got a PKGBUILD I'd like to upload, but it produces
a package called:

R-2.9.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

Which includes the projects UPPER CASE NAME.

As a supporting note, the source filename is: R-2.9.2.tar.gz

This package built and installed nicely here with that name,
and seems to be running just fine.

So WHY DOES THE UPLOADED PACKAGE NEED TO BE LOWER CASE?

I'm not YELLING, really, I JUST HAVE A VERY LOUD VOICE 8-)

So, what does the OFFICIAL AUR COMMUNITY think about the name of
this package?

How do we accommodate case aversion and still spread the power and
fun of R to the arch linux world?

One last point to note. When searching for, or listing packages,
with say:

pacman -Q | grep R

The upper case REALLY helps overcome listing a bunch of other
packages due to the extreme popularity of the lower case 'r'.

Any suggestions as to a package name acceptable by the community
at LARGE (sorry, I just couldn't hold that one back 8-) would
be greatly appreciated.

Your's in FUN and Graphics Scripting...

android

p.s. possible solutions: